my team is going to win!

A house divided. That’s where I live today! Of course it could be worse, and over something serious…lol! As many of you know I am a New York Rangers Hockey fan, have been forever, but I live in Capital territory! Hold the BOO’s for later!

If you haven’t heard…we’re (both) in the playoffs! Yay! I am thrilled that Tampa beat Carolina and saved the NYR sending them to the playoffs…where they will meet and play the #1 team…the Washington Capitals! Yes, in full disclosure, moving here I have cheered for the Caps, and was a season ticket holder (before twins), but I never rooted for them over the Rangers! Never, ever! Always wear my Rangers jersey to the games, which at times can be very scary!! The hatred between these teams is unbelievable!!! Add alcohol, and its dangerous! We’re talking blood shed….and stitches! Ugly.

So, fast forward, and now the kids……being raised in Capsville going to games and riding the zamboni, naturally they are Caps fans….once I had to sit next to my daughter with her “go home Rangers” sign wearing my Rangers jersey (rofl). Yeah, that was the last time I encouraged freedom of speech by a minor…kidding! However, with my influence, I am happy to report, we have a few Rangers fans too. And my daughter is coming around as well…she will get there! They watch the games on NHL Center Ice with me so naturally they know the Let’s Go Rangers chant….and sing it very well I might add. However, when it’s the Caps vs Rangers, things get a little tricky. Umm, their dad, is not a Rangers fan. I never said he had good taste in teams, just in women:) But seriously, he’s a Sabres fan…lmao! Not even going there….but they are in the playoffs too! See, we’re transplants…supporting our local team, ever true to our home teams!

For this reason….this round of the playoffs will be interesting in our house. I am really looking forward to it personally! It will be fun, educational, and I for one really hope the Rangers win. To all my southern friends, be nice, I am not a traitor, I am a NYR fan…and you’ve always known it! And remember, the Rangers have won 3 of 4 over the Caps this season, so you never know, just sayin!

The funny thing is being so young, my kids won’t truly understand why we can’t root for both, and/or why I won’t give in….and so I think I can convince more to become Rangers fans! Woo-hoo. I have a mission and a plan….lol! Overall, it’s a great family bonding experience, and that’s going to be the best part! Getting them interested young. I am excited that my brother and his kids will also be rooting for the Rangers so I am not alone…and it will be the talk between the cousins ( started yesterday after we beat Jersey!) in the weeks to come. We’re all in this family adventure (and conversion) together! Isn’t that great:) Oh yeah, and we have plenty of friends back home who will rooting for them as well…we are connected. One big happy Rangers family!

The truth is, luckily, either way, we win….because no matter what team comes out on top (go Rangers!) some of us will be happy and move on to the next round…so that’s the icing on the cake! And my kids love cake, so when the Caps lose, I will make them a Rangers cake…lol! And if for some unfortunate, unforeseen reason the Rangers lose, then my kids can make me a Rangers cake…see a pattern here?! Oh, and yes, I will root for the caps IF I am forced to…

While we wait for the playoffs to begin on Wednesday, we will keep practicing our Let’s Go Rangers chant…and I’ll dig out all my Rangers paraphernalia! Yes, I have earrings…lol! Oh, this is going to be fun, fun, fun!

Let’s Go Rangers!

Do you have a special team you root for? Is it your “home” team? Do you believe encouraging kids in sports makes a difference? At what age do you think parents should start exposing kids to sports? Do you feel individual vs team sports matters?

This entry was posted in hockey, rita's rants, staying connected and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Hockey tickets and home teams – a house divided – New York Rangers vs Washington Capitals Hockey

1. I think it’s great to encourage kids to cheer on their favorite team and/or play on their favorite one as well. It’s actually a way of making space for all and learning to function in and enjoy being part of community….
    Then there are ofcourse the obligatory getting-razzed-when-your-team -chokes vs. the “we won” swagger.
    Karen~

2. This was a fun read, Rita. In the SF Bay Area we are blessed with 2 baseball teams and 2 NFL teams, in addition to hockey and soccer. In my practice I support many “weekend warriors” who work hard, and then want to play hard during their time off. Invariably the topic of their favorite team’s performance will come up. The World Series in 1989 is always fun to discuss, as that was when the A’s played the Giants and the “Big One” shook up the ballpark and our lives.
    I used to be very vocal about my support for the Oakland Raiders (didn’t sit well with my 49er fans) and for the SF Giants (didn’t sit well with the Oakland A’s fans), and could be blissfully happy to support any college team for football, as my school no longer has a football program.
    At some point my desire to see happy fans won over any particular allegiance (although if there was cake involved, who knows?). Now I simply say, “I’m a Bay Area teams fan, happy to support whoever is having a good time,” and I really mean it.

Thanks for your entertaining post. Thoughtful, too — about how your family can bond sharing so many aspects of your hockey obsession. All of us can learn something worthwhile from your example. I’m not such an ardent sports fan, though. The contests are exciting, but some of the headline-making competition is way too extreme for my taste. But go Rangers!

4. My poor husband lives in a house of women that are more interested in high heels than cleats. Needless to say we have no discourse here except exasperation at how long the TV is tied up with football, baseball, basketball, golf, ad nauseum.

Love your writing style and had a good chuckle. Did you say there would be cake?

Darcie Newton
    Wine not whine.
    More nature than nurture.
    Discipline for profit, none for triple cream brie.

Yes, cake for everyone! Oh, and shoes/heels….you can’t have enough of them! I say go (shoe) shopping while the tv is tied up…lol! Have fun Darcie.

5. I grew up in the deep south so hockey is a foreign sport. Our divided households and not so civil wars happen during college football season. Fun and entertaining post.

ah, I hear ya….all in the name of fun…hope your teams wins…at least sometimes Bill:) Enjoy!

6. Rita I had a good giggle reading the squabbles of a sporting family. You have a naturally delightful writing style, as a result I was almost rooting for the Rangers. Not much of a sports fan, I cant really understand the dyed in the wool loyalty, but I am certainly ready to make a party or a learning experience out of anything, Especially when style, songs and food are involved!

Jennifer Duchene
    Home Makeover Mixtress blending lifestyle laughter and Diva Dens

We will make a party here…when they WIN…lol:) Almost rooting, come on Jenn! Thanks for your kind words and for stopping by:)

7. Molly Perry says:

Our household is full of sports nuts, so I can relate. We are divided during football season between the MN Vikings and the Chicago Bears (my hubby is from IL). I am an advocate of sports. It is great fun for everyone. Of course, until your team loses….

This is true Molly….its all fun and games til your team goes home (without the win!).

• Bella says:

Thanks for your article on this westbie. From my very own experience, often times softening upwards a photograph may possibly provide the digital photographer with an amount of an artsy flare. Sometimes however, the soft cloud isn’t what exactly you had in mind and can quite often spoil an otherwise good snapshot, especially if you consider enlarging them.

8. We are not a big sports household either. I am the most inclined to watch. When I was younger I used to be a big football (soccer – the real football played with feet lol) fan but the violence and hatred between the fans got so awful I stopped going. Since moving here we do go to sporting events – we like a day at the Salt Lake Bees and a Utah Jazz game is fun but I have become a big Giants Fan over time. My family couldn’t care less about any of it and none of us understand American Football – which isn’t played with feet – and have never seen an ice hockey game. My girls are more musical, the youngest does gymnastics – that’s about it!
    Facing Fears For Freedom Over Fifty

Musical and movement are good:) I’d recommend seeing a hockey game…at least once! There’s not much else like it out there….can be very fast paced…and a little harsh physically….but all fun!

This was fun to read. Sports…I must admit that I don’t even know how to spell the word and as a result I have raised my 3 boys to be the same. They have other skills and talents. It was great to see you passionate about a totally different area Rita. Nice to be part of that.

Inspired Art and Living

So funny you and your daughter sitting next to each other in different team shirts…my favorite part was the earrings! I’ve encouraged my daughter to play sports and she watches them with her dad… :-)
    Brandy Mychals
    Speaker, Author, Communications Coach
    Creator of the Character Code System

Yes Brandy, it was really funny at the time…she was about 7….and very proud of herself…BUT we won…lol!

• Berenice says:

oh she is such a pretty baby, I love these! Congrats on your first noerwbn shoot and you’ve smashed it as usual. I love the feel of this series of images, soft, delicate natural moments with the baby doing what babies do naturally. My faves are #2,5,6,8,9,10,16,21. I don’t think there is anything you wouldn’t be able to photograph Monika.

• Pilar says:

I really msesid my granny when i see her sense of fashion, It is really important that we have consistency even in fashion choice. This is the proof that there is no age limit in fashion as long as you have your own personal style.

11. Yvonne Hall says:

I’m a BIG believer in sports exposure and involvement — good things since my kids were exposed early thanks to Hubby. I’ll never forget when my then almost 2 year old told me he wanted to watch daddy’s basketball (he said baaball) game over Nick jr.; I knew I was in trouble then. He still loves basketball, but it’s been less than a year since his proclamation to Hubby and the sports channel over every 2 year old dream of watching Nick jr. They will both be in sports soon and I know like myself and hubby they’ll have a long school sports career whichever sport they are drawn too. I’m pushing for volleyball over the others since I actually know what is going on in that game! Please don’t let it be golf!
    Let’s go Rangers!
    Yvonne Hall

Haha, I hear you on the golf….please not here either…dad is enough…or it can totally be his job…lol! Basketball, hockey, football. something I can relate to would be nice..but I guess not necessary….wish I knew what had less injury…I might push that way…because with 4 of them….I can’t imagine the ER visits I hear my friends talk about (with 1 or 2 kids)…oh the joy! Sounds like our kids are the same age….its going to be an interesting next 14 yrs! We’re on the journey together my dear…its going to be fun!

Our house is divided by lack of sports fan (me & daughter) and fan of every single sport there is (hubby). It was a point of contention in our early marriage years because I thought his priorities were wrong, but I’ve learned to accept and he’s learned to stop forcing the issue. I think one of the reasons our 28 1/2 year marriage has lasted is that we give each other freedom to have our own interests w/o requiring the other to share them and then can come together in the areas we share.

Freedom to be you (him) is awesome…its likely what brought you together…lol! Its hard to have anything forced on you…especially if/when you are totally uninterested!!! Glad you found your spaces…and can meet back up…and share the common ground. All the best Pat…thanks for stopping by and for sharing….I am sure there are lots of people who are in the same boat, but may not know how to deal, or allow it to just be….FREE.

13. This takes me back to my high school days, growing up in “Hoosier” land where basketball made the front page headlines in play off time. Intense! I got back into basketball when I lived in Sacramento, cheering for the Kings, but just couldn’t stand the heat. T00 intense for a woman in her fifties–and didn’t like the emotional fall out when they lost. But of course…my grandson plays sports year round…so here I am again, cheering like a fool. Have fun with your house divided and love your attitude that it will be good because someone there will win!

Hehehe, we’re all cheering fools out there….love it! Gotta keep it as fun as we can…..losing is hard no matter what…but there’s always next game or next season…its not all about winning…at least thats what we tell the kids…lol!

14. great post! sounds like fun any way that you “slice” it…..
    We are always watching sports – football and basketball (no baseball for us — toooo loooonnnggg)
    We all LOVE the Steelers, but as for college football, I am Penn State Fan living amond Pitt Fans…makes for interesting Saturdays in the fall.
    Thanks for spreading the fun – Rachel

So you know exactly what I am talking about…lol! And yes, baseball is hard to watch on tv……another story live…but a sleeper on tv. My husband loves it, will probably mean the boys will too, but until then, its hockey and basketball….and dancing for the girls:) Fun and busy…woot! Thanks for sharing Rachel.

15. Joan Autry says:

Hey Rita! I loved this! For the Autry household, it is football, and we’re OBSESSED! Luckily, my hubby and I aren’t split down the middle, since he’s more into the pros and I’m a college FB fan. We end up cheering for the same teams–mostly. My challenge is that I’m a Southern Cal alum (go Trojans!) living SMACK in the middle of Washington Husky territory, so I can feel your pain! You just keep your loyalties and wear your colors proudly! It will demonstrate to your children that you aren’t afraid to stand out in a crowd! 😉

Oh, you do feel my pain! Ouch:) I will be sure to keep my loyalties…and wear my colors proudly…you can be sure of that Joan:) Thanks for stopping by and sharing…..go Trojans!

16. Even though I have not a sports bone in my body, I enjoy the high spiritedness that it produces. As I always say, I hope your favorite team wins it all!!!

17. Well, as a family we are not into sports at all. I only watch the Olympics. My older daughter is on the varsity track and cross country team and I am an ex-half-marathon runner. My youngest is a soccer player, but only because we have a rule that each of them has to participate in a sport to stay active. My husband could have been a professional tennis player, but he is not (sigh). He is on the seniors’ circuit playing and often goes to league championships. He doesn’t like us to watch him play so we basically do nothing sports -related as a family. I watch my daughter run and cheer like a maniac. I can’t watch my youngest play soccer because when she yells at the coach and gets tossed from the game, I want nothing to do with her. But….. Go Rangers.

Thanks Laurie:) I am hoping….Go Rangers! I am like you, watching and cheering like a maniac….for the fun of it:)

18. Jillian Todd says:

I am definitely the worst person to ask about sports–from the time I could walk I was carted off to every sports game my brother ever played. Soccer…baseball…basketball…football. In our house, sports ruled above all else. Being very much an individualist (ahem, control freak?), I couldn’t stand playing them either. If I passed the ball to someone and they lost it to the other team, I was irritated for DAYS.

I loved individual sports: swimming, weight lifting, barrel racing in rodeos, dance. You can’t pay attention to anything anyone else is doing for the most part, so no one else controls whether or not I “win”.

And music. The way I finally got to love my brother playing football is when the Stanford Band (yes, the crazy drunken debaucherous *infamous* band) figured out I played an instrument they needed and recruited me to the ranks. I happily (drunkenly) sat in the stands and cheered my big bro on. Somehow the rules and plays took hold and I fell in love with football.

My girls are similar: they want to do things that are not so team oriented. Karate, singing, dance, gymnastics, running, etc. I have no problem with it, which drives my brother and his family C-R-A-Z-Y! :-)

Jillan Todd
    Jillian Todd Portrait Couture

HAHAHA, too funny Jillian! I can see where the team sports would get you:) My daughter has a little of that in her…I see it sometimes! She too loves to play an instrument…and with the little ones coming up…we can have our very own band….or team…..whatever they all decide…lol! Either way, its going to be lots of fun:)

19. I don’t have a special team I root for. The different games were always playing in my home when I was growing up but I was never nudged to really get into it and pick a team. I played a few sports when I was younger, but my basketball coach says, “Why are you always smiling?” I guess you can say soon after that I became a cheerleader instead 😉

I think as soon as kids can run on their own then sports can be introduced to them, but I feel it’s up to them to choose what they want to do. Both individual and team sports are great. Team sports definitely gives them the understanding of team work, but if they don’t like that and prefer Individual sports then be it. As we say for adults we really need to go for what we enjoy. I think the same should go for kids.

Alara K. Castell
    Your Sassy Spiritual Guide

That’s funny Alara…and you have a great smile! I agree, letting kids decide what they want to do is so important…the last thing I want or need is having to force a child to practice or out on the field..we experienced this once…and were done! It was no fun, and at least she tried. It just wasn’t her sport!

• Gulfidan says:

Thank you so much for your quick response and help. Don’t know what I would have done woithut your guidance during this initial stage. Everyone in my neck of the woods is stumped when I mention the FODMAP approach but a local health food store said they would research and help me with products. The Amitiza is not a fun drug to take .thinking I will go with just the FODMAP for a while. Thanks again for all your help. How do I order the cookbook? through this site?

• Dsfdfds says:

I’d never had water ice until I moved to the Philadelphia area! My sister took me to a place in Roxborough that had “gelati”–I had orngae water ice topped with vanilla soft serve ice cream–wow! Now I live close to a Rita’s and the lines stretch down the sidewalk in the summer.

• Foster says:

Golf saemtrs(yes golf saemtrs , Leers ) can get thru this loophole if the Wookies ass is not on board.The only reason they might try you launch the gluteal Goliath is as a bunker buster, or containment bubble

When my daughter was in grade school she played on various teams — volleyball, soccer, and basketball — and it was so much fun to go to the games and root for her team! I have to admit I have never been much of a sports fan, but did get into it when my daughter was involved! My husband is not much of a sports fan, either, but is totally immersed in the auto racing world, so that is what is on the TV at our house– NASCAR, Formula One and Indy races. I became a fan when my husband had his own car and was racing Formula cars (amateur not professional!) all over the country, and still enjoy deciding which drivers I like and want to cheer for! I think that having your kids involved in sports is a great idea and can be a wonderful way for them to learn about teamwork and good sportsmanship. Plus, I think the competition can be fun and exciting!

Have to agree Donna…I didn’t play many sports myself (basketball – if you can call it that – and soft ball which I loved)….so its hard for me to guide my kids other than to say well if you think you like it, you can try it! I do enjoy watching my kids…learn and play…its fun…and being part of a team is fabulous for them.

21. Personally, I am not a big sports fan. I grew up in L.A. and became a Dodgers fan. Then I move to SF. There is a hatred between the Giants and the Dodgers much as you described and has been in the news lately when some drunk Dodgers fans brutally beat a Giants fan who is now in an induced coma and may suffer permanent brain damage. Not what sports is supposed to be about.

It’s taken me 21 years to finally become a Giants fan and I am but I will not be anti Dodgers. Just can’t do it. My son is an avid sports fan and his boys are following in his footsteps. It’s fun to see them root for the same team and he will not have them anything but Giants fans. We’ll see when they get older! I suspect there will be a Marlins fan or two in that house!

I love your writing Rita. It is so real and honest and so you. Don’t stop writing and don’t stop being you. Every time I read it, I love you more! And I’ve never even met you (yet)!

Thank you Susan! You are so kind:) I try to be me…as much as I can…lol! I did hear about the man who was beaten, I hope he will be okay, and that they catch the people who did it! It is horrible and not what anyone expects at a sports game….to think there are kids there! What are people thinking?!?! As far as the grandkids, like my kid, some are following me, or not, and they can always change their minds later…lol! Its all in the name of fun…hope your Giants to well this season!

22. I grew up a baseball fan just because my father was! (He was actually a sports writer at one point, which of course made him interested in all sports.) We rooted for the Yankees–no other rooting allowed! I love baseball still and actually am about to write some baseball blogs, so I guess it’s sports time.

I think enjoying a sport can be great for building family cohesion, but I think creating partisanship (rooting too hard for just one team) can be dangerous for very young children, who might not be able to cope with their team being the losing one. I also think the way children’s sports have become modeled on professional sports, with ultra-competition and winning-at-all-costs is extremely sad and dangerous, too. Damaging to kids’ minds and bodies, and feeding the egos of parents. (Oh oh, I’m starting to rant!)

I do understand the joy of team winning, and playing well, so here’s to a good sports season for all of us!

“My cat owns me, my clutter stymies me, my writing frees me. Word maven loves—and learns from—ordinary life.”

I hear you about kids taking the loss hard….which is why its good we have a win/win here….and luckily, I can take it if they lose…just want my kids to have a good time watching and cheering on a a team (theirs or mine…lol!). Kids sports are WAY more intense than when I was a kid….mind blowing actually! Scary. And here’s to a great sports season and the 7th inning stretch…..go Yankee’s!